Tuesday, June 2, 2009

quick update...

THANK YOU for all of the wonderful prayers!! We totally got the miracle we were hoping for! :) I spent nearly all day Friday under ultrasound machines, checking out our little munchkin. The first appointment was with the maternal-fetal specialist. They did confirm that she had a TINY bit of fluid around her heart, but everything else looked okay. The doctor was really optimistic, but decided to err on the side of caution and refer me to a fetal cardiologist down at Riley's Childrens Hospital.

So I spent the afternoon waiting to get in to see a doctor down there, finally got in to the room only to have a "fellow" (aka not the "official" doctor) use me to have a practice session on. Apparently he had never done an echo cardiogram on a fetus before. He was nervous and kept thanking me for letting him practice on me (as if I had a choice). He practiced for about 45 minutes before going to get the real doctor. She came in, looked at the baby's heart for all of 10 minutes, and determined that everything looked wonderful. While Naomi does have a little more fluid around her heart than the average baby, it is not worrisome, given how little it is. Her heart checked out perfectly. PRAISE GOD!! :)

So now we wait. I am REALLY hoping that Naomi decides to come on her own before Friday. Otherwise, we'll be checking into our hotel hospital room at 7:00 in the morning this Friday to be induced. While I'm not crazy about the idea of being induced, I'm also not crazy about the idea of having another 9-10 lb baby and enduring another 4th degree tear. Naomi is already measuring in the 80-85th percentile for her age. I'd say that's big enough. ;)

I have continued to have contractions off and on (for well over 2 weeks now). And the newest thing is that I am enduring the horrific pain of a pinched nerve in my lower back. I have been given a prescription of Vicodin, which does NOTHING to help the pain. I am just supposed to take it easy for the remainder of this week. I just hope these days fly by! :)

5 comments:

KathyC said...

And fly by it will! Soon you will be watching her being walked down the aisle at her wedding! haha Just a few more days and you will be wondering what all the fuss was about. Stay off your feet, missy!

amo said...

So glad everything is going okay. Funny that you were at Riley in the cardiology dept - that is where Paul's mom works! She is the mac-daddy secretary for a lot of those docs, so you probably would not have come in contact with her, but she may have seen some of your paperwork go by!

erin said...

ouch! :( hang in there! i pray that this week goes by as quickly, smoothly and painlessly as possible!

Erin said...

I'm so glad Naomi is okay! And so sorry about the pinched nerve- it's hard to move around at this stage with cooperative nerves. :) I'll pray she comes soon! Can't wait to hear the happy news!!

Cristina McEwen said...

Praying for you and a wonderful, safe labor and delivery!!!