So we had two therapists from First Steps come out to evaluate Naomi's development yesterday. The doctor referred us to this program due to Naomi's stiffness. I think I was secretly hoping that the therapists would give her a clean bill of health and send us on our way. That wasn't the case.
She has hypertonia, or increased muscle tone. She spends most of her time stiff as a board, and has a difficult time relaxing her muscles. Because of this, at 2 months old, she can already stand up and walk with assistance. Pretty crazy. But not good for her.
She also has a tendency to scissor (or cross) her legs and keep her arms bent most of the time. She also doesn't bend easily at the hips. These things, if left untreated, will eventually make it difficult for her to sit up, roll over, stand up, or even walk on her own. So they have given us LOTS of exercises that we are to do with her daily. They also showed us new ways to hold her to encourage more flexion in her limbs.
Another concerning thing is her lack of coordination with sucking. She's just not good at it, and needs to mature some more with that. This difficulty sucking could be part of the problem with her reflux, as she is swallowing LOTS of air when she nurses or drinks a bottle. She also struggles to keep a pacifier in her mouth.
Each of these problems together, in addition to her small head circumference (fallen to the 7th percentile), has ME concerned. I have done some research online and found that each of these things together are early signs/symptoms of cerebral palsy. The therapists yesterday agreed that she has all of these signs, however, they are not doctors and cannot diagnose her. Either way, they will plan to continue therapy to help Naomi reach her goals.
At her next doctor's appointment, we will discuss the possibility of needing to be referred to a neurologist. But regardless whether she does have CP or not, she definitely still needs this physical therapy to help her reach her developmental milestones. I am glad that we have done some early intervention and hope that because of this, she will grow stronger and be able to live a long, healthy life!
In the meantime, we will continue praying over her and ask that God use this therapy to help her grow and develop. We will pray for her health and for the reflux issues subside. I am just so thankful for the wonderful support of our family and friends. And I am thankful, too, for Naomi's sweet little personality. She has been smiling A LOT more lately...and her entire face lights up when she does! SO precious!!
I won't know more about all of this therapy stuff for another two weeks. I will update then!! :)
5 comments:
Pictures, please. :)
Praying for sweet Naomi. She has great parents!
God has gotten her through two big things already and he will get her through one more. i am praying really hard for that lil girl and love her to death. let me know if you need anything.
Will be praying for your beautiful little girl- she has been gifted with parents who are so in tune with her that at 2 months old she's already getting helpful intervention. Love those big eyes of hers- I bet she's more and more interested in watching big brother with them! :)
My heart goes out to you Leslie. I pray many of these concerns taked care of themselves and do not become a bigger issue.
She is presh for sure. Beautiful little girl.
We are having a few struggles with my son, so I understand worry and grief. I wish you were in town so I could help in some way.
I'll be checking on updates.
Post a Comment