Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Isaac's in the Hospital!!

Well, after eight and a half months of never being sick, he finally caught a cold. And it's a doozy! It started when he woke up yesterday sounding hoarse. He had a runny nose and pretty labored breathing all day. When he coughed it sounded like a barking seal. I just thought it was a nasty cold. Then I did a little research to find that what he had sounded an awful lot like Croup.

Well whatever it was...it wasn't getting better. So I got him in to see the doctor this morning. They established that his lungs were filled with fluid and that he was wheezing really badly. They gave him a breathing treatment, hoping that would do the trick (but secretly knowing it probably wouldn't). And then said that he would need to be admitted into the hospital. Now.

So we drove from the doctor's office straight to the hospital. The admission process took some time, but then we finally got a room. It has been a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG day. :) Isaac normally naps at 9:30am and then again at 1:30pm...for 1-2 hours each nap. Today his naps were at 12:00pm (for 30 minutes) and at 3:00pm (for 30 minutes). He usually goes to bed around 7pm. It's 8:50 as I type this, and he is still crawling back and forth like a crazed, caged animal. He pulls up to standing on one side, then falls down and crawls to the other side...pulls up to standing, and then does this over and over. He is breathing so heavily too. He has been up since 7am...and is showing no signs of slowing down.

He has been given breathing treatments (to open up his airways) every 3 hours. And that will continue all throughout the night. :) And after just speaking with a nurse, apparently this crazed caged animal thing is a side-effect of what they are giving him. Oh joy!! This should be an interesting night!!

All in all, I have been very impressed with Isaac's disposition. Despite feeling so yucky, we have gotten comment after comment from the nurses on how happy he is. :) He's pretty spunky and you wouldn't know he was sick just by looking at him. Now listen to him breath for a couple seconds, and you can tell. But hopefully his breathing will be better by tomorrow so we can go home!!

Anyway...I will try to update later. It is now 9:05pm and he's still awake over here. Something tells me I won't be getting much sleep tonight. Hehe.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Oh, I will pray for you guys- for little lungs and for tired parents. Wheezing and breathing treatments (and especially hospitals) are no fun...Jack had an experience with this and I remember the caged-animal effects. Here's to your own house and nice long naps (for everybody!) tomorrow.

KathyC said...

I guess the steriod treatment is next if the breathing treatments don't zap this. Maybe that will act as a downer... for the upper he gets from the nebulizer! He must be thinking... some vacation! Just let us know what you need.