My first confession is that I am HORRIBLE at keeping my house orderly. I let piles of mail, receipts, dishes, and junk collect on my kitchen table and counters. We have piles of STUFF everywhere. I love to be organized, but have a hard time getting from point A to point B. And to be honest, half the time I don't even "see" the clutter. Also, I am not one who typically values cleanliness over other things in life. Should I take a shower or sleep? Sleep. Clean the kitchen or check my email? Email. There is always something more important for me to be doing...than cleaning. :)
When I made the choice to make staying at home with my children my job...I knew that it would involve more than just caring for and raising our children. I knew it came with other "chores" as well. I hope I can learn how to efficiently manage my home so my family feels good living here.
My second confession is that I have been spending WAY too much time on my new hobby. I spend LOTS of time online researching the latest trends in photography. I have wish lists for props and backgrounds. I submit photos for critique...and spend countless hours looking at the works of other photographers. I am learning...A TON. And I have been dreaming of doing this as a business someday...maybe even sooner than later.
I think I am enjoying this so much because I am getting feedback from my work. I produce something, and get results. With my job as stay-at-home mom, there is no feedback. I haven't set any goals for myself. I don't really know what I'm working toward. I spend my days with a baby who can't really communicate with me. I don't get any sort of thanks for changing a gazillion diapers each day or for teaching my baby to do new things. Most of the time, my work goes unnoticed. And I am realizing that I am a person who thrives on affirmation. I am motivated to do better work when someone recognizes the good work that I am doing.
Anyway...this is beginning to get long-winded! Sorry! :) All this to say...I want to be a better mommy to my kids. A better wife to my husband. And a better (shiver) homemaker for my family. ;) I want to put my all into this new job of mine. I can become a wonderful photographer over the years. But that's not my 'job' right now. Though it makes me feel great to get such positive feedback, I need to just keep it at that. I need to focus my attention on the most important job I have...raising up healthy, loving children who will one day have families of their own! I hope I do better with this in 2009!! :)
Here are some recent pictures of my silly sweetness...





And here's a recent photo of my growing belly...

4 comments:
someone's been doing some self reflection ;) thanks for sharing yourself. i hope w/ the new year that you are able to focus more on what u know your priorities are...
Looks like Isaac has something to say about this! The pics in the blankie are sweet. You're obviously doing a fabulous job - just look at your work product (the babay)! You are feeling what all mothers feel off and on - it's a thankless job on the outside. You *might* get affirmation when your children become adults, but more than likely not until they have children themselves. Just take a look around you and see how very successful you are. I had a print that said something like... "the dust and dirt will wait - babies will not." Enjoy these early childhood times with your son and husband because they'll be gone before you know it!
I am a fellow ff friend. You are an amazing photographer. I love your work. And you sound exactly like me about what I want to work on....I could have written that myself. God is good and will bring many blessings of 2009. I am a March mommy and hoping to have a new little one myself! Congrats to you and your husband.
When you put wife and mommy on the list before housekeeper, no one, but yourself, will find fault in that!
Post a Comment