I tend to be one of those annoying women who actually ENJOYS being pregnant. I LOVE it. I really do. Now don't get me wrong. I could completely do without the constant back pain...the gazillion trips to the bathroom because my bladder is about to explode every minute of the day...the leg cramps...the headaches...and the list can go on and on. And I certainly don't love how exhausted and totally spent my body is...but I love how I feel on the inside.
I'm carrying new life. I'm glowing...even if that glowing comes with some new break-outs of teenage acne. :) I love the "oooohs" and the "aaaahs" from complete strangers. And being treated like the awesome princess that I am. I like having doors held open for me, and for people to let me go in front of them in line at the grocery checkout. For a nice change, I feel really comfortable with my body. My belly is bulging and most people find it beautiful. I know I certainly do. :) I also love the anticipation of wondering what this little baby is going to look like once she arrives...and wondering when that day will be. It's all so...FUN!
But this third time around has been a little...different. I'm not sure what it is, but I have gotten more negative comments about my body than I care to ever hear. I look no different than I have with my other pregnancies...like I am carrying a basketball under my shirt. I'm what some may call "all belly" as I haven't gained too much weight anywhere else. And yet, the comments come. Daily. They usually start really sweet, smiling...and then the dreaded question: "So when are you due?"
"December."
And then come the crazy comments, served right along with raised eyebrows and dropped jaws. Anywhere from, "WHOA! You're HUGE!" to "Wow...are you sure you're not having twins?" to "Oh my...you have quite awhile to go still...and you're...already...so...big." to "Geesh! I thought you were due any day! You look like you're about to pop!" to "Oh...wow...I thought you were going to say this month!" And they go on and on and on.
Some people are more polite about it than others. Their first words (with raised eyebrows) are always, "Wow!" And the newer mommies will usually say something like, "Well you have a little bit more to go." or "Well you look great...you're all belly!" I'm okay with comments like these. Even though I know what they are thinking. I can see the surprise in their eyes. But I am grateful for their desire to say kind things to encourage me.
Others nervously ramble on, trying to make up for their embarrassing reaction. "Wow...you're huge! I mean...in a good way. Like...look at YOU! You're just all belly. Just think how big you're going to be in a few months! You look like you have a bowling ball in there! It's just WAY out there. But nowhere else. Just right there. You're belly's just so...big."
I wish I could come up with a funny comeback to comments like these on the spot. Like, "Oh...and when are YOU due?" to someone who is obviously not expecting. ;) But I'm not gifted in that way. I'm a mostly shy girl...polite and sensitive. I just smile, probably blushing from embarrassment, and move on. And really the comments don't bother me TOO much. But it does make me wonder...am I really THAT big? I mean...the doctor says I am progressing great. At a 25-week appointment, I was measuring 26 weeks. Just one week ahead of where I should be. I haven't gained an insane amount of weight...right on for where I should be, actually. And aside from the aforementioned common ailments that just go with pregnancy, I feel GREAT. :)
But it would be nice to go out and not be pummeled with negative comments. Or to not have people be SO shocked when they hear that my due date is still a good 14 weeks away...if I were to go full-term, which I've yet to do. So really it's more like 11-12 weeks I have left. :) What if I just started lying to strangers, telling them that I'm due next month? ;) I wonder what they'd say then? And does any of it really matter? No...not really.
Cause this mama ain't lettin no silly people steal her joy! No ma'am! I am proud of this big belly...because you know what's growing inside? One amazing, healthy, little miracle...that's what! :) She's just taking up all the room she wants right now because that's what she wants to do! :) I LOVE being pregnant. And I'm not about to let something as silly as stupid comments take that away! :) So take THAT, people! I LOVE my belly! And I wouldn't trade it for the WORLD! :)
2 comments:
You go girl! You look beautiful, and I'm glad you know it! :)
Don't let them rain on your parade! I'm glad you're a positive, beautiful momma :)
Post a Comment