
She lays her head on my shoulder. Exhausted. The heat coming off of her body almost hurts my skin. She's not feeling well...my baby girl is sick. There are many parts of my job as mommy that I love...and if I'm being completely honest, many that I don't. :) Having sick children, especially when they are weak and burning with fever, is one of the hardest things. I just feel SO helpless to help them. I would give anything to have them be instantly healed. But being sick is just one of the not-so-fun parts of being alive. We live in a world of germs and illness, and I cannot protect them from every little thing. But at least with each little (or big) cold, their little immune systems are getting stronger! :)

I took Naomi to the doctor today. She's had a strange rash on her leg and has been saying "owie" and crying when we wipe her diaper area. Then when she started in with the fever, I decided it was time for her to be seen! :) Good news is that the rash is probably a random allergy to something and hydro-cortisone should do the trick! Her diaper area looked just fine, too. She is probably nervous about the wiping ever since they had to catheterize her last month. :( Poor thing! And the fever? We have no clue! Probably the start of a nasty virus that's been going around.

The only bummer thing we found out was that she had lost weight since her appointment with the GI doctor 2 and a half weeks ago. I was SO thrilled that she had gotten over 19lbs at that appointment (19lbs, 1oz). But today, she was 18lbs, 15oz. I know...it's only 2oz...probably not a big deal. But for a little girl who is already below the 2nd percentile, we'd prefer to see her weight going in the opposite direction. I know some kids are just little...and that's not a problem. I think the problems with Naomi are that she started out on one growth curve, but has completely fallen off. She also still pukes after eating from time to time. She eats A TON, yet never seems fully satisfied. She also seems to have a possible allergy to rice. We aren't TOO worried, as she is developing just fine otherwise. We just want her to be 100% healthy...and have a hunch that she's not. She'll be having the endoscopy this coming Wednesday, and hopefully we'll have some answers after that. If that test comes back showing that everything looks great, then I think we can just conclude that she's just going to be a little peanut (who happens to vomit after she eats)! :) Actually, I think we've isolated her vomiting to instances in which she has consumed some sort of rice product, so we may be good to go if that's the case.

No comments:
Post a Comment