Saturday, November 13, 2010

Some of OUR homeschool activities...

I have been meaning to put up these photos of our playroom...or classroom. I love the environment in there...at least right after I get around to organizing all of the materials. The paint color in the room is what came with the house and we've just never gotten around to changing it. So rather than painting the walls, we just decided to decorate with brightly colored accessories. :) Anyway...here it is:









A couple of activities...

We made J's out of buttons. Isaac enjoyed this, but really preferred to just hold and play with the little buttons. I found myself growing frustrated with this, but need to learn to allow him to have more freedom with his choices in activities.


And this is one that I just made really quickly. Isaac is still really struggling with his numbers. He's so verbal and in-tune with people's feelings and the world around him, yet still cannot count correctly. He does sometimes, when he wants to. But most of the time, if you ask him "how many?" he'll answer with something along the lines of "three, four, six, nine, fourteen..." Just rambles off a bunch of random numbers. So I developed this activity for him to get better with his numbers. He didn't get it AT ALL. And actually showed NO interest in the actual activity. Again, he just wanted to carry around the pieces. :) But after reading a wonderful blog post (in my previous post), I am no longer going to push him in this area. I will continue counting things with him, but I'm not going to stress about it anymore. He's just not into numbers right now...no big deal. :)


The kiddos LOVE playing with fresh coffee beans. They enjoy playing with it like sand...scooping, pouring, sorting, etc. And the best part is that it smells SO lovely (I got a french vanilla roast). :) Here's a couple of Naomi doing her coffee bean "work" on the activity table...




And just a random one of Naomi wearing a bow made by one of our good friends. :)


Last week we also made peanut butter playdough, and enjoyed that as a snack for a couple of days! I also made some scent jars for Isaac to work with. He loved that activity. I was surprised that he was able to correctly identify five out of the six scents. Very fun!

2 comments:

Alice said...

Aaaaargh, I can't see your photos on your blog!!! :( I'm so eager to see your classroom too, and the pics of the little ones. They all appear as boxes with either a horizontal line or a dot in the middle, like the picture is there but like 1 pixel deep or something!

LOVE the scents jars idea! And the coffee beans (did they try to eat them? I fear mine would!).

I'm still so grateful to you for posting the blog link at Facebook. Matthew is 4.5 and if we were not homeschooling he would have started school this autumn. He is onnnnly just getting his numbers, but still can't count beyond 12 accurately. I would so totally not worry about Isaac (though I see you're not, now that you've read the article at that blog!). I was starting to feel agitated about Matthew's numbers at his age until I read that blog and now I am so relieved to just leave it. I am not even going to do any formal schooling with him until a couple of months after the baby is born, so he'll be nearly 5, but I feel sure he'll be ready by then. It's nice not to have the pressure on!

Love this post (but please help me see the pictures!) :)

KathyC said...

Um, one question - just how long did your playroom look like THAT? lol