Thursday, February 3, 2011

Happy THIRD Birthday, Isaac!!

To our first-born son, on your THIRD birthday...
Gosh, buddy. I can hardly believe that you are already three years old! And yet at the same time, I can hardly remember what life was like without you. And even more strange, I can hardly remember what you were like when you were just a young baby. Oh how the time flies!! And now you are three...and have changed so much since last year.Let's see if I can remember everything here. You have learned so much over the past year. You now can correctly identify all of your letters and we've started working on your numbers as well. You are MUCH better at counting now, but still get confused from time to time with identifying the numbers when you see them. You've mastered all shapes, colors, etc. And are still really into spelling. Actually...lately, you haven't been too interested in anything very educational. You LOVE hearing stories...especially ones with LOTS of adventure. You walk around the house saying that you're a "bad guy" to which we remind you that it's the good guys who always win!! :) You don't care. You just love pretending to fight...such a little warrior! :)Over this past summer, you completely mastered riding your big boy bike (with training wheels). We are really looking forward to the spring so we can get outside a lot more!! You also LOVE to swim. We recently joined the YMCA (which you call the "MCY") and we try to swim at least once each week. You are VERY active and love to be doing something ALL THE TIME. :) However, that said, you also enjoy your down time. You typically go to bed around 8pm, though sometimes don't fall asleep until 9 or later! And you are up almost EVERY morning by 7 or 7:30am. We really miss your longer sleep stretches!! Hehe. You still take naps most days (usually 1-2 hours at most), though you do occasionally fight the nap.Since it's wintertime, you have watched more TV than usual. As many as 2 or 3 shows each day!! Some days are worse than others (like if you or Naomi are sick). You just don't feel like playing or using your imagination and would rather just sit down and watch a show. Your favorite shows are Super Why, Word World, and Dinosaur Train. We have just recently (in the past month) started allowing you to watch full-length movies. Your favorite BY FAR is Toy Story 2. Had I known you were going to be SO into this movie, I would have made it the theme of your birthday party. But you are also VERY MUCH into your dinosaurs...so that's the theme we went with this year! I can't wait to surprise you!! :)You went to preschool last semester, but we decided to not send you anymore. You did great with it and were learning a lot. But you never seemed interested in going. I like the idea of homeschooling and will work toward creating a good system to help you learn what you should be learning while at home. Though if I'm being completely honest, the idea of it scares me a little, because there are so many days that you just about drive mommy crazy! We are CONSTANTLY reminding you to be kind to Naomi and to make good choices. You've definitely hit quite an ornery streak and that combined with your smart little mind, make for some very frustrating circumstances. And you are very aware when mommy is upset. If I sigh or act exasperated, you ask, "Mommy, why are you so frustrated?"You enjoy making messes too! In fact, if we're ever cleaning up, you will say, "Wait, guys! What are you doing? I don't want to clean up...I like it better when it's messy in here!" Isn't that the truth?!? :) Although you spend a lot of your days being grumpy, you still love to laugh and make people laugh. I MUCH prefer your laughter over your grumpiness...that's for sure! You are still quite shy around strangers, but seem to do fine if Naomi leads the way. Actually...you enjoy following her lead quite often! And if you get in trouble for something, you are quick to say, "But Naomi was doing it first!" to which I will likely reply, "But you KNOW BETTER!" You will even sometimes egg her on to do something naughty (like throw her food on the floor, climb up onto the countertops, etc). I know that I am supposed to just enjoy each phase of your childhood, but my dear Isaac, I am SO ready for this phase to be over! I hope that when the weather changes for the better, being outdoors will help you blow off some of that energy and you'll be able to wear yourself out more! :)Let's see what else...you are wearing size 2T clothes (mostly...but a few 3T shirts). You weigh 32.5 lbs and are 37.75 inches tall! :) Doctor said you are in the 50th percentile for both! You have big feet, though, wearing 4-5yr socks and size 9 shoes! :) You sleep in a big-boy bed (a twin mattress on the floor), and do a good job with it. As for potty-training, you are completely pooped-trained (using the toilet 100% of the time for that)...but are still quite sporadic with the peeing. We tried having you wear big-boy underwear several times, but you always forget and have accidents with them. You disregard the urge to pee all day long, but often like to use it as an excuse to get out of sleeping...like you'll be put to bed, and then 10 minutes later, start yelling, "I have to go pee!" And while you do go just fine, it's funny to us that you don't use the toilet for peeing all day long! One of these days!! :)You have lots of little friends, but your best friends are Morgan and Claire. You love all of our cute little neighbors (Micah, Emma, Claire, and Gracie). You also have some friends at church (Nolen, Caleb, and Johnny). You still tend to enjoy the company of older kids (4-6-year-olds), rather than kids your own age. And when someone hears you talk, they are always surprised to find out that you haven't even had your third birthday yet! :) But now you're THREE! And we really look forward to watching you grow and develop over the next year! I am so excited to see what this year brings for you. We love you SO much and are so blessed to have you as our son! Happy Birthday, Buddy!

Love,
Mommy and Daddy

This is SO you! :)
And some photos for comparison (click for larger image):

1 comment:

LB said...

hi leslie, i "know" you back from FF days and i cant believe how much our kids have grown and that they are 3. issac is such a big boy, and still too cute!!!