One of my favorite parts of being a mommy is the variety of entertainment these kiddos bring to my life! :) They are always saying funny and cute things! Here are some of Naomi's "words" that she pronounces so adorably:
ascarybus = asparagus
follycowy = cauliflower
palecater = caterpillar
eeotmeow = oatmeal
nuckliss = necklace
bawkfist = breakfast
She's at a pretty fun stage for cute mess-ups. Isaac is pretty well beyond those simple mess-ups, but he's given us a few doozies that have made us blush recently. We are trying to teach him that he needs to learn to hold his tongue and can't just share his thoughts freely, especially if what he's thinking is negative. You know...the whole "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all." He recently told a woman, "Your eyes don't look so well." And when asked to clarify what he meant, he said, "I mean, your eyes look...scary." Gulp. No he didn't just say that! And on another occasion, he told another woman, "You're fat." As I talked to him about it, I said to him, "That's not a nice thing to say to someone. Because nobody wants to be fat." He was genuinely confused, and asked, "Well why not?" To him, it's just another type of body. He hasn't been tainted by society's negative messages about differences. He was simply making an observation...not intending anything to be bad or good. Had she responded with, "Why thank you," with a smile...there would have never been a need for further conversation. He's just trying to sort through things in life.
Another thing Isaac said recently that made our jaws drop was while he was playing with Kevin, he yelled, "Dammit, Daddy!" This was the second time he's said this. And it caught us off guard just as much as it did the first time. I can say with 100% certainty that he has NEVER heard these words in our home. We just simply don't say that phrase...ever. Don't get me wrong...we say a handful of other things that we hope they don't pick up on, but we just don't curse in our home. If I get REALLY upset from time to time, I might say, "freaking" or "pissed" or "gosh darn it." But that's about as crass as it gets over here. My response after him saying it each time has been pretty low-key, but we've asked where he has heard this word used before. He just keeps saying he's never heard it. He has no idea where or who has said it. He is either terrifically dedicated to protecting whoever he did hear it from or he has actually just made it up himself. We are puzzled by it, but finding the source is not the answer. We've just got to continue teaching him to tame that tongue...the strongest muscle in the body!
I sadly had to have a conversation with him tonight about divorce. He seems WAY too young to really grasp it all. But some of our good friends have recently gone through one, and he was asking why they don't live together anymore. Sigh. I didn't sugarcoat it for him either. And I reassured him that no matter what happens in our lives, that his mommy and daddy will ALWAYS stay married. I told him that we made a promise to God, and that we will never break that promise...ever. I got choked up during the conversation, and hated that it even had to happen. He just couldn't understand how someone could break a vow that they had made to God...or how someone could just stop loving someone. When you try to explain these things to a four-year-old, it really does seem silly. We live in a fallen world. I don't want my kids to know about it yet. I'm not ready for them to experience the pain and woundedness around us. I want them to stay innocent and untainted forever. But I know they can't. God, protect their sweet little hearts!

No comments:
Post a Comment