Monday, March 15, 2010

isaacisms...again...

Went up to Isaac after he'd been in time-out for a couple of minutes, knelt down beside him, and let him know that he could get up. He said, "But I would like more time-out." I answered: "Okay...that's fine. But when you're ready to get up, you may come back to join us." He ran back in and started whining again (what got him put in time-out to begin with). I asked, "Are you going to start whining again?" His reply (in a whiny voice): "Yeah."

Back to time-out. When those two minutes where up, I went in and explained that it is rude to whine to get what we want. He just stared at me. So I asked, "Do you know what whining means?" His answer: "Babies whine." "You're right, buddy. And you're a big boy. Big boys use their words...not whining." Pause. Isaac mumbled something about big boys like to color. So I asked: "Would you like to color?" Isaac answered: "No dank you. But we need to put the lid on the crayons!"

And speaking of crayons, this child LOVES to color. And we have gone round and round with him about coloring on things he shouldn't. Today, he started coloring on his train table. With a very stern voice, I said, "Isaac, please put that crayon away and come to mommy...I need to talk to you." He obeyed...quickly put the crayon away and walked speedily toward me. Once in my arms, I started the dialogue: "Isaac, what are we supposed to use our crayons on?" His reply: "We cullow on the paper!" Me: "You're right. And what did you just color on?" Isaac: "I cullowed on my train." Me: "Are we supposed to color on our train table?" Isaac: "No...we not." Me: "Can you say that you're sorry for that?" Isaac: "I sawee, mommy."

We seriously have this talk with him almost daily. And yet he continues exploring with these crayons! At least he's not eating them anymore!! :) And I guess you could say that it's just making my walls, windows, mirrors, toys, furniture, etc. look a little more colorful! :) Perhaps he's inherited his mommy's artistic nature!! :)


***********
On a separate note, I got news today that the tumor was indeed benign!! :) I have been put into a cast for the next 4 weeks. It's big, bulky, and can't get wet. If anyone has ANY ideas on how to do the dishes with one hand...please let me know!! :) Kevin has been amazing through all of this. I couldn't have done it without him!! Thanks, babe!

1 comment:

Erin said...

So glad about the 'benign'. I hope this is your last medical issue for a looooong, long time. I think you guys should get a pass even from seasonal colds this year!