Tuesday, March 2, 2010

lots going on...

It's been awhile since I've posted, but life has been crazy. And when it seems as though it can't get any more crazy...it does. :) I'm typing this post with one hand as I wait for the radio-active dye to seep into my bones. Hehe. That sounds dramatic, doesn't it? I have a full-body bone scan in about twenty minutes. I went this morning already to be injected with the dye.

Why all this testing? Well this past Friday night is when this new craziness began. I was at my friend's house with the kiddos. I went to pick up Naomi, when my left pinkie finger snapped upon touching her. I heard and felt a snap, and saw my finger bent in a very unnatural way. My first thought (and words) were "Omigosh...I just broke my finger!" But then I started rationalizing. People don't just break their fingers upon lightly touching something. Maybe I just dislocated it??

So my first instinct was to take my finger and pull it and push it back together. If it had been dislocated then this should have made it better. But to my horror, it did not feel any better. Less awkward...but still in a HUGE amount of pain. It was swollen and crooked and I couldn't move it at all. So I went to the ER. A huge thank you to my friend, Mary, and my sister, Kristin, for helping me with the kiddos since Kevin was out-of-town for business.

I felt kind of silly going to the ER. Surely it was something simple. And I was a moron trying to fix it myself. Right?? Wrong. I did indeed break my finger. It broke straight through. And the reason for breaking? I have a tumor, called an enchrondroma. The doctor is quite certain that it is not cancerous, but will biopsy it during surgery later this week. And according to the ER doctor, I did a pretty good job of resetting the finger myself! :)

So bone scan today...to check for any other abnormal bone growths...and then surgery on Friday. They will remove the tumor and have to do a bone graft to replace the missing bone in order to prevent this from happening again. I've got quite a road of recovery ahead of me and we are hoping and praying that the doctor is correct and that it is indeed non-cancerous. We should know the biopsy results on Friday.

Sooooo....that is a little glimpse into our present craziness. I am currently in quite a bit of pain and VERY limited in what I can do. You don't realize how much you actually use your hand (even if it is the non-dominant one) until you can't! Having two babies in diapers has proven to be QUITE a challenge. We'll get through it, but it's no fun. I'll update when I know more!! Thanks!

2 comments:

Helena and Elise said...

Wow Leslie! Seriously, your family has been through the ringer. I am praying for you right now - that the bone scan will show no abnormalities and that the tumor is indeed non-cancerous. Love you and your fam!

Alice said...

Leslie, I can't imagine! I would be so anxious. Praying for you! xx